Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Haiku about Dealing with "Hard Things"

As I sit here realizing that I have not posted in over a month, I ask myself  why not? The last time I posted I had recently received news of my mother's dementia and my nephew's new cancer treatment being the last try before hospice is called in for his care. I had also been struggling with my daughter's sadness/depression. I had been struggling to face these heartaches and to support my sister and mother and daughter as they move through these rough challenges in their lives, sad that I cannot remove their burdens. I suppose the answer to the question "Why haven't I been writing daily?" is that life pulled the rug from beneath me and I had to spend some time trying to fix that feeling. And I think I have for the most part and can continue writing--even about the difficult stuff.

"Sometimes hard things happen that isn't easy to understand and hard to deal with," my daughter wrote a few days ago. It's a fact. They are hard to deal with and you have to work at it. Since my last entry, my nephew's medical care has been turned over to hospice. He's at home, being loved like crazy as usual.  This is one of those "hard things" my daughter wrote about. "Hard" isn't nearly strong enough is it? But, truly, what word is? It hurts. We have known this time would come; we tried to prepare for it. But, as someone pointed out, you can prepare for a punch in the face the best you can, it's still going to hurt. The sting of the news has lessened, now we are "dealing" with it--accepting it as something we have to live with, and then living with it.  
 Did you know?
The jellyfish is a symbol of acceptance and faith.
 
Today, I write my haiku of this struggle to live with these "hard things" life gives us from time to time.

Acceptance of this.
It seemed unattainable.
But, then, here we are.



No comments:

Post a Comment