Monday, February 4, 2013

Haiku for a Girl I Use to Know

 I'm horrible at remembering people from my past by name. My sister would ask me, "Guess who I ran into the other day?" I would answer with the obligatory, "I don't know, who?" "Remember so-and-so?" Four out of five times, I would say I did not. And her response would be, "Of course you do, remember when...." and then she would remind me of something, and it's a fifty-fifty chance it helps me remember the person. My sister remembers just about everyone. I don't know why I cannot. Especially, high school. The person has to be someone I talked to a lot all through high school, or someone I liked very much, or someone who I despised. Yes, shamefully I admit I was a teen age girl who quietly "hated". I've changed--I grew up. 

 
The other day I read something that has been nagging me. I read an obituary of a woman who had graduated high school with me. I could not remember her by name, although her name did sound vaguely familiar.  I was sure if I make an emotional connection, the memory would come back. So today I took a peak in a high school year book. I looked at the little notes people wrote to me. I came to one was signed with her first name. "I'm glad I got to be your friend. Maybe I will see you this summer. See you then and good luck on exams."  Could this be her? Could I have known her? So, I went to the sophomore section, where we could be found. Found her name. Looked over and remembered her immediately. I liked her. She was nice and soft-spoken. And she had the blue-est eyes. 
Wow. I'm sad this girl is gone.

Today my haiku is to this girl, who I knew a lifetime ago. Simple words, but heartfelt.

I remember you.
I hope life was good to you
And you were happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment