Thursday, February 7, 2013

Haiku about Talking about Birds & Bees

About a week ago, my daughter asked "Dawn, how are babies made anyway?" I told her something about the mom and the dad get together and make the baby. "Oh, okay," and she bounces out the room. Next day's question: "Dawn, how do the mom and the dad make the baby anyway?" I answered that we would sit down later and talk about it. I explained we needed time because it's kinda complicated. And then I said, "Let's go to the bookstore!" I was going to need visuals and a guide. And we did, and she picked out three biographies and I picked out a great guide for 'our talk.'



Off and on now for a week or so my daughter and I discussed the differences in male and female anatomies, about sperm and eggs, and a lot about puberty and the process of ovulation. And we're only a fraction of the way through the book. It's slow moving with all her questions. I'm giving her time to process each lesson, and sure enough she comes back the next day with more questions. She is not embarrassed to ask, she speaks freely with no hesitation. And she is using the new words she learned. I'm enjoying our discussions and seeing her mind working.  It's a very bonding experience for us.

Today I write a haiku about teaching my little one about the birds and the bees, both of us wrapped up in our blankets sitting on the sofa and feeling cozy.

Feels so natural
Answering all her questions
About growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment