Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Haiku about My Blanket

My brother teases me from time to time about blankets. Here's how our phone call would go. "Hi. What are you doing?" "Nothing really. Just lying on the couch and watching tv." "Are you covered with a blanket?" he would ask and then he would laugh his laugh, like he was listening to the funniest man on earth. It's a tease that refers to him remembering me with a blanket all the time when we were growing up. Not like Linus from The Peanuts. The way he remembers it I would lie down and read or watch tv and I would always be covered with a blanket.  He says even in the middle of summer I would do this. I don't know how accurate it is, but I think it's kind of funny that he remembers it so, and that he finds it so amusing. I love my brother. 

The truth of the matter is that I do like a good blanket. My mom use to crochet lots of throws. The ones I like are the ones with the tighter stitch. The ones with the open stitches lets in the cold and so when you're using it, you're not entirely warm and comfy. There was one certain throw I really liked and I still have it. Actually, my daughter now has it. And, using her words, she "luuuuuuves it!" I now have a nice throw that my beloved gave me a couple of Christmases ago. It's gray/blue and creamy white. It has a peacock feather pattern. And it is just the right amount of soft. And guess what? I luuuuuuuuuuve it! I use it all the time. This morning I covered myself up with this great gift as I lay on the sofa to watch the morning news, and I realized, as I was snuggling, how comfortable I was. Then I thought, "Brother, if you could see me now, I think you would shake your head and laugh." And I smiled at the thought of him doing so.

My haiku is about my favorite blanket. Because, you know, a good blanket is one of life's little comforts.

Just cover me up
as I lie here. Yes. Perfect.
Snuggle. Snuggle. Snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment