Thursday, February 21, 2013

Haiku about Family Dinner

I remember  back in my childhood, one of the things that we could count on is that dinner is around 5:30 and everyone eats together. I do not remember conversations in detail, but I remember having them. The food was in bowls or platters and we would pass them around. My dad would put tons of salt and pepper on his food. Us kids would try really hard not to make eating noises loud enough for my dad to hear, because he would get irritated. (I think I have the same problem. Look it up. It's called misophonia.) When we were finished, we would announce we were done and say "Thanks to God." And then we would kiss our mom thanks for the food.


At our house, with our kids, dinnertime is a little different. My husband and I try to have dinner with everyone as much as possible. We average about 4 or  5 times a week. Not nearly as often as in my childhood home. We have conversation. Like tonight we each told about something new in our life. These things were new: a back isn't hurting as much, two friends were convinced to join wrestling next year, a bedroom was streamlined by me, there are two cats out there at friends' homes that are as big as Katrina now (apparently a kitten has grown tremendously), and there was a refrigerator seen that would be awesome to have in our kitchen. We don't have bowls and platters; I pile on the food from the stove and the boys deliver the plates to the table. Yes, the eating noises bug me, but I don't think the kids are afraid to make them. I try to be polite and calm about it. Nobody kisses me thank you. Every once in a while I get a verbal thank you--but it's usually when I order pizza. 

Today let me present a haiku that is about family dinners. I love them, as long as everyone is getting along


Please pass the meatloaf.
Tell us what is new with you?
Hold on, I love fries.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment