Sunday, February 17, 2013

Haiku for Understanding

As I mentioned before, my children are adopted from the foster care system here in Michigan. They were removed from a dangerous situation and placed in foster care. More than two years later they were up for adoption. Another year and a half and my husband and I find them.  It's a hard way to start out. They have come a long way from the first time we met. And their futures are brighter. 



Today I heard an adoptive mother talk about her journey with her daughter. She presented several issues I can relate to with our children. On one of the handouts was a sentence that spoke to me. It read "Fear will bully your child into poor behavior." This is very timely for me. Our daughter is going through a time that scares her, and, yes, poor behaviors have upped. Her best friends, and unfortunately, only friends in the neighborhood moved far away today. She's afraid she will never have anyone to play with. She's afraid the girls will forget her. She's afraid of feeling lonely. In a way, she is reliving her earlier abandonment, which frightens her.

Today I write a haiku that asks for patience and understanding, especially when dealing with trying behaviors that stem from a little girl's fear. 

Try to ease the fears
She's scared. He's afraid. Distressed.
Be their safe haven.




No comments:

Post a Comment