Saturday, February 2, 2013

Haiku for Best Friends

When I was a kid, I had friends. They were the people I played with. A lot of them came from our neighborhood--a mixture of boys and girls. In junior high, I had a handful of friends I ate lunch with. In each class, I had one or two friends who I talked to before and after class. In high school friends were pretty much the same as middle school--several people at school, but almost none outside of school. There were some special people in my life. People whose families were close to mine and I love them and they were brothers and sisters to me. But, nonetheless, there was no "best friend" for me. Looking back, I feel as if I missed out on something special. Just a special person my age who belonged to me, my best friend.


Today my middle one is with his best friend. It's been almost five hours now and they've been learning and playing in the snow. First, they had a winter survival camp at a nature center. And now, they have built shelter in the snow piles down the street in a parking lot. (Parking lots have the BEST snow piles to play in, don't they?) They're still out there and the sun has set. Earlier when they stopped by the house to gather tools, I thought about childhood friendship and how I appreciate this one my child has. My boy, three years ago, came to us friendless and very bashful. He pretty much had no neighborhood friends where he was fostered. Any friends he had were at school. He didn't ever mention old friends of his from his other life. We believe he was very lonely. Fate has put this other boy in his life about two years ago. His best friend, this boy who loves to spend time with my son is a godsend. I don't know if he will ever know what a special gift he is to my middle one. He has filled a void so perfectly in my boy's life. He has helped him heal.

My haiku today is a thanksgiving to the gift of a best friend given to my son. 

Gratitude abound!
For a companion to join
him on adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment