Sunday, January 20, 2013

Haiku about Adoption Day

Today is our family's "Gotcha Day." It's the anniversary of the day we went to court and the judge decided we were a family. The three children we had been living with for the past nine months, my husband and myself. traveled for an hour or so to the courthouse. The children were excited. And my husband and I were happy to see this day arrive. The judge was nice to the children, and allowed each of them to use the gavel and allowed them to pronounce himself or herself to be our child. My husband and I made our statements, and even my mother put her two cents in as well. It felt good. I remember most of it, but the words I don't  remember well.  Somewhere there must be a transcript of what was said. Right? I predict a little investigation in the future. Regardless of what was remembered or forgotten about the day, it was a success and we do celebrate it in our little way.


I have written a haiku in honor of this day,  when two years ago a judge made our family "official."

When the judge proclaimed
we belong to each other,
we all sighed and smiled.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,
    there is a transcipt. If there was a stenographer present you can obtain the copy of the court hearing. Just call and ask. Not sure what the cost would be. I'm glad your mother was there. That is so neat. I always remember her as being kind and gentle.

    ReplyDelete