Monday, January 7, 2013

Haiku about Sleep and Me

Lately, sleep and I have not been on good terms. I have this dichotomy with sleep. I'm like that four-year-old who fights sleep, and says, "I'm not sleepy, damn it! I don't want to go to bed." I love staying up. My bedtime is after midnight--way after midnight, every night lately. I enjoy my nights, in my pajamas, relaxing and watching a movie, reading, browsing the internet. And that is fine and dandy, if I got up at nine or ten in the morning. But, that is not so. I love getting up early in the morning--like six o'clock. I'm like that eleven-year-old who wakes up, looks at his clock and says, "Wow, I can put some game time in before school! Shoot, maybe even two hours!"  Except my "game time" is mostly "thinking time." The house is so quiet, you know the quiet, like I'm the only one who lives here. I watch or read the news. I write. I try to make lists. I plan. I absolutely love this time.


I've come to the conclusion that I am essentially split between a morning person and a night person--not necessarily "split;" I'm both. I'm pretty pleasant in the morning, I've even been known to be  "chipper." At night, I'm pretty pleasant, too. I'm ready to invite a friend over to chat, or put on a movie. It's the in-between-time that is problematic. That time between 2 pm to about 7 pm. I'm tired and have been known to be....I'll just say..."not nice." One could even call me useless when it comes to getting anything done. I can't concentrate, feel overwhelmed and disorganized. (Some close to me may say this is more or less my usual state, I agree, but, add that during the afternoon these feelings are stronger ). I can't explain why my mood gets better as the evening arrives. All in all, I've decided something's gotta change, because I don't like this pattern.

So, here's today's haiku, to this decision I must make, for the betterment of my family, my home and my health:

Night owl, early bird
Have to choose one, can't be both
And still be human

No comments:

Post a Comment