Thursday, January 17, 2013

Haiku About Our New Car

My husband and I had this little 4-door 2002 Saturn for over 10 years. We've traveled a few times to Texas and back in it. It took us Up North several times. And it was dependable. It was just right for the two of us. Our family grew. Suddenly, we had 3 kids. We held off replacing the Saturn, but it finally had to be replaced. And giving that car up as a trade-in (if you want to call it that), was like leaving your old dog at the humane society hoping it will live out its years with nice people. And so it was: a couple of days before Thanksgiving, my husband and I became the proud owners of a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan.



Our daughter said something this morning about our new car that caused me to realize how content we are with the Caravan.  We're not just happy. As kids would say, we're very, very, VERY happy with our new vehicle! For weeks we would climb into it, smile and comment at all the space we had. No more looking in the rear view mirror at our boys sitting in the rear seat with their knees squished up to their ears! Never realized what a tremendous difference it would make our lives. The kids are still finding neat things about the Caravan. "Oh, look, Dawn there are cup holders back here...we just hadn't seen them in the door. Cool." "Wow, the radio will turn off all by itself when you open the door!" "I like that we have our own lights back here." "You know, you can make our temperature back here different from yours up front.  See?" It's been two months, and we still hear ourselves saying things like "I'm so glad we have this car." Or "Who misses the Saturn? Not me!" I think the funniest thing that shows just how delighted we are to have this car, is what our youngest said this morning. "You know what I think we should do? On November twenty-something this year we should celebrate." When I asked why she answered, "because that's like the anniversary for the day we got this great car!"

So, today my haiku celebrates our new car, that reminds me that we surely didn't know what we were missing!

Don't take for granted
The space and convenience
of a mini-van.




No comments:

Post a Comment