Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Haiku for Daughter (2)

 We were on our drive to school when she asked about adopting. It started with her statement that she would like to adopt someone when she is old enough. "How do you do that? adopt someone?" was her first question. Then came the avalanche of more questions. "How did I end up having to be adopted?" "What did [biological dad] actually do to my brothers and me?" "What did [biological mom] have to do to get us back?" "Why couldn't she do it?" "What made her stop trying?" "No one could find her?" "So, they found her, where was she?" "Did someone force her to sign those papers?" "Did she divorce [biological dad]?" "Why didn't they take care of us?" "Why was I ever born to people like that?" Needless to say, I took her home. Scratch school off of today's list of things to do. Tears, talking, healing was on today's agenda. 


Today my haiku is to my daughter, who, after all these questions were answered to the best of my ability, said, crying, "It's  a sad story when you leave your biological parents.  I wish it didn't happen."

I wish you could be
wrapped in her arms feeling loved.
I hope I will do.



1 comment: