Sunday, January 6, 2013

Haiku to a Friend (1)

Dogs and cats--I love them. I keep an album for the dogs in my life. It contains pictures of Captain and Flash, two dogs we had growing up. There's Chico, Mimi, and Duffy, my three shelties, long since gone. Then, there's Snowie and TinTin, my sister's dogs. And I have pics of other dogs, who I've met along the way. We never had cats growing up; for some reason my dad didn't like them. Cats entered my life when I was in my 30's. And that is when I realized I could be both a dog person and a cat person. 




So, of course, an album exists, dedicated to the cats in my life. I came across it last night and peaked inside. I saw a gorgeous picture of Kit. He is on my mind this morning. It was he who taught me how wonderful cats can be. Kit was a cute kitten and he grew into a  big, handsome tom cat--a gray tabby with green eyes and a pink nose. Kit stayed by my side for sixteen years, until he passed away two and a half years ago. He was with me through many difficult times in my life-- a divorce, the death of my father, a peeping tom scare, a miscarriage. Kit was present at the excitement of new romance, a couple of fun moves, my wedding, finding our children. And there was my cat at the quiet, mundane times--cuddling up with a good book, cooking dinner, coming home from work. Always, Kit.

Today's haiku is inspired by my first cat, Kit, who, after almost three years without him, I still cry over his absence. 


Kit, my friend, my constant,
Through all my changes--good, bad
My Pet was present.

No comments:

Post a Comment