Saturday, January 5, 2013

Haiku to Wrestling

 Before the adoption, the only things I knew about wrestling I learned from Big Time Wrestling which my dad and brother watched, featuring names like Rowdy Roddy Piper, The Sheik, Andre the Giant and Bobo Brazil.  And I knew their uniforms are called singlets. Our oldest was more than happy to enlighten me on how limited my knowledge of the sport of wrestling was. And another tidbit: a bi-product of wrestling as a sport is practicing control of your aggression and strength, and practicing quick problem solving.


 

There's a meet today, and my mom duties included driving our wrestler to catch the sport bus. So, there I was driving back home, sipping on some coffee and thinking about wrestling and this man-child of ours. He loved it, he let us know in our early days. It was more than important to him in his prior life, as a foster child. I believe his place on the team gave him a sense of belonging he didn't find in any other parts of his life. His prior life was not an easy one, there's no question about it. I'm grateful he found some solace in this sport, that ironically appears so aggressive and hard.  

Here's to wrestling! It deserves a haiku.  

 Reversal, Takedown,
(Thanks for being there for him)
Control, control, pin!





2 comments:

  1. You did a good on I wrestle and it means the world to me! Amelia Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete