Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Haiku to Bowling

   Today, I saw a friend's bowling score on facebook. He made a score of 299. Yes, 299! Wow, I never knew anyone with that high of a score.  I'm never going to compete with him--he's like a pro, with that score. Shoot, he beat my average score by his second frame. Impressive, my friend, impressive. Your score made my boy's eyes grow twice their size. 


But, I can improve, and continue to follow the words of a wise 15-year-old I bowled with today. "I compete with myself, and try to get a better score each time." We try to bowl on Tuesday afternoons--just some other homeschoolers and their moms and me and my middle one. Sometimes there are just four of us, other times there are three times as many. Today there were six of us bowlers. I enjoy it. It's a chance to get out and chat with other adults. And I get to bowl. I'm not good at it. In fact, I'm considerably worse than I use to be. Back in my more youthful times, I was happy to break 90, elated if I broke 100. Pathetic as that was, nowadays, I'm happy to break 50, elated if I break 70. Today I had a big smile because my score was a big 84! Don't laugh, I had fun. 

My haiku today is about bowling, a sport I poorly play, but enjoy very much. 

Darn that elusive strike!
Are the pins super glued? No?
I stink at bowling.


No comments:

Post a Comment