Friday, January 18, 2013

Haiku for the Drive-In Restaurant



Russ' is a restaurant in town, and it's a landmark that is part of my childhood. There's this memory I have. Our whole family was loaded in the station wagon at Russ' Drive-In Restaurant. I remember my dad talking into a phone and knew that soon we would be enjoying our sundaes. Our eyes were glued to the door of the restaurant waiting for the waitress to come out with her tray. She did, and hooked the tray onto the window. Then our dad would pass out the goodies. This was a treat! It did not happen often, I imagine, given that the size of my dad's wallet did not always correlate with the size of his family. And, then, one day, the drive-in went away. 



Today I went with my sister, mom and nephew to Russ'. It's a sit-in restaurant now, and had phones at the table that you picked up and ordered your meal. Most of those are gone. Now, Russ' brags about having a fancy computerized ordering system. We ordered and had a pleasant meal and everyone was content with their food and drinks. No one ordered sundaes. Eating there got me thinking of the happy little memory I have of the long-gone drive-in. Those phones were the cat's pajamas.

Part of me is sad
 About touch-screens replacing
 hang-on trays and phones

No comments:

Post a Comment